Wednesday, 24 July 2013


It started innocently enough, for the Overalls pattern, I had to get some illustrating software to be able to draw the pattern pieces.  I had never used something like that and the learning curve was steep, but I do like having control over stuff like that and it is much easier to do it all yourself to get someone else to do it and then send them a hundred changes!  I like the idea of getting it done NOW and not relying on someone else's timeframes.  If I knew then, what I know now, it would probably only take about 80hrs instead of about 800hrs to do the pattern pieces for the Overalls! HA!!

It didn't even really occur to me that I could use illustrating software for illustrating!  Yes, I KNOW!!!!  Probably more that I had no idea I would even be able to draw.

Then, the words I didn't really want to hear popped up from my romper pattern testers.  Some of the pics are not clear enough to show whether it is the right or wrong side of the fabric and the fabric makes it a little hard to see what is going on. 

Honestly, THE WORST WORDS YOU WANT TO HEAR when you have spent so long making something and stopping every few minutes to take photos, then editing the photos and loading them into the pattern. 

So... I had 2 choices, make another romper and redo all the photos OR, just bite the bullet and have a go at illustrating.  

The illustrating won out!  I figured I wanted to do it 'one day' anyway to get the pattern into a more friendly version to publish as a paper pattern, why not do it now! 

Now I want to draw everything, I watch Dora and go 'Hey, I could totally draw that!' or look at napkins in the supermarket and think, I could draw that picture! 

Loving my new addiction and I hope all the people who were not too sure about illustrations over photos can be converted.  It got a big thumbs up from the pattern testers, so fingers crossed it is a winner all round!   

I eventually want to redo all the patterns as illustrations, but there are only enough hours in the day!!! 

1 comment: